Monday, April 16, 2012

Thought from listening to Sunday's sermon

The church I go to has two ministers, at least for the next few weeks, then both of them are moving on.  One of them I really don't connect with at all, the other one is the only minister who has offered any support in my going to seminary.  He's an interesting guy, with a somewhat diverse theological background.  He is also far more compassionate than most of the ministers I have had a chance to spend time speaking with, he doesn't just put on a good act while he is on stage.

Anyway, I just wanted to put in a bit of background.  Today's sermon touched on a few subjects, one of which was working with an interfaith group dealing with the poor and homeless.  I have often criticized my faith for only helping "those people over there" and making sure they stayed "over there" instead instead of making it easy for them to pick up many of the values and beliefs of the church.  Mind you, I'm talking about promoting the church and its values by leading by example.  Today's sermon was very passionate about people actually getting involved instead of just paying lip service by throwing some money at the problem and then feeling virtuous. 

It also got me to thinking about what I will be able to do once I finish my schooling.  I don't think I will be very good at dealing with the typical homeless beggar, I am much more likely to be working with people who are working their way up out of a bad turn of events.  Or, working with those who are on the fringes of society.  During my last trip to New Orleans I found that I built up connections with a number of the street performers and fortune tellers.  I'm also friends with some musicians who will never be big names or big successes, but they are getting by.  I'm sure there are those who will criticise me for this, but I need to play to my strengths.  My goals are to do good things, not great things. 

Even though it is years in the future, I'm trying understand myself better and where I will fit in.  It's challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment