Saturday, September 18, 2010

Introduction

So, this is my first post in a new blog. As may be evident from the title, I'm not a monotheist. I'm also not a trinitarian. I actually would have preferred godbotherer, but that belongs to a blog about a British band. So I got here a bit too late to stake out that name along with godbotherer.com. Such is life.

After a lifetime in IT, I started seminary classes two weeks ago. Part time and via distance (online) learning. I also started a new job at the same time. To say things have been a bit intense would be a bit of an understatement.

While I have thought of becoming a preacher occasionally over the past 15 years or so, only in the past couple of years have I come to truly loathe what I was doing for a living and realized that I need a radical change of careers. Given that I have alway been a "white knight" and my fundamental character is to help people in need, becoming a minister so that I can actually get paid, not well, but paid, to help people seems to be a reasonable choice.

The website for the seminary that I have started taking classes from lists some of their graduates who are trying to do great things. Personally, I'm hoping to do good things for a smaller number of people. I want to help heal the human spirit rather than try to save their immortal souls.

I could go get a MBA in 18 months. Instead, I'm going after a M. Div. that will probably take over 5 years and cost at least 3x. When I finish, I have no assurance that I will even be able to find a congregation who will want to have me. Life is not simple for some of us who feel a calling.

I have a sign on my refrigerator: Nothing great in this world was ever accomplished without passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment